FRIDAY, May 24
- Club 21550 Youth Recreation, Broadford Park, 6-8 p.m. Youth 5-18 years are invited for recreation fun. Those 12 years and under must be accompanied by an adult. Light refreshments, games, and a voluntary walking club with prizes are offered each Friday through June 21. Sponsored by Club 21550 Planning Group. Free. (301-334-7730)
SUNDAY, May 26
- SuGO Sunday: LEGO Robotics, GEARS building at 116 Industrial Park Drive in Accident, 1 to 4:30 p.m. Youth and families come together to build LEGO robots, which are used to compete Sumo-Wrestling style in the ring, hence the name SuGO. All materials are provided and no experience is necessary. All ages are welcome, but parents must stay and assist with young children. Snacks and sodas are available for purchase. Rookie teams consist of 2-4 people and pay $10 per team; teams participate for free if a GEARS member is on the team. Sponsored by the Garrett Engineering and Robotics Society. Call 301-387-2331 or visit www.SuGO.bot.com for more information.
MONDAY, May 27
- Friendsville on the move, Friendsville Park Pavilion, 6:30 p.m. Friendsville residents are invited to meet each Monday evening through June 17 for free fun physical activities and tips for staying healthy while earning prizes. Those interested in a voluntary weight loss competition for cash prizes may add that to their program for $1. Open to adults, and children in middle and high school. Sponsored by Friendsville Community Watch and Maryland Cooperative Extension. (301-334-7730)
TUESDAY, May 28
- Lapsit, Ruth Enlow Library in Oakland, 10:30-11 a.m. Children three years and under, and their required caregiver will find stories, songs, finger play and rhymes to entertain and stimulate language skills at this weekly lapsit. Free. (301-334-3996)
THURSDAY, June 6
- Pocket Park Movie, near corner of Second and Alder Streets in Oakland. All are welcome to bring a lawn chair or blanket and snacks for outdoor movie viewing at dusk. In the case in inclement weather, the movie is typically moved to the Mountain Fresh Pavilion. This week features the ‘PG’ rated family movie Wreck-It Ralph, sponsored by Rob Michael/ State Farm Insurance Agent. Free. (301-334-2691)
Assets are qualities and experiences youth need to unleash their potential for growing into healthy, caring adults. For more information about Healthy Communities•Healthy YouthTM (HC•HY): Garrett County and about building assets in youth, call 301-334-1189.
HC•HY Garrett County and some of the activities above are sponsored by Garrett County Partnership for Children and Families Inc./LMB (Local Management Board), Garrett County Health Department, the Garrett County Extension Service, and the Governor's Office of Crime Control and Prevention.